Monday, July 11, 2011

Renca 1 #18

7.11.11

How We Win

I think this last week we just had was even harder for us.  We walked even more and had even less success.  We didn´t enter a single house until saturday night.  I went on ¨intercambios ¨ for the day on friday to the sector that is in our district.  I went to this very very rich sector that reminded me a lot of home.  We sat down with a member family at night to talk to them how things were going with the friends they were working with.  I started talking with the mom who is a RM who also served in this same mission.  I told her how I was having a really hard time in my sector and Im just kind of waiting it out so I can get out of here.  She told me how she was in a dead sector with a companion she hated for 6 months and in that time she learned the most she ever did on her mission.  She told me not to get down and to keep going forward because if it wasnt for a couple missionaries who came to her door when she was young she never would have been a missionary and she never would have helped others come to the gospel.  She also talked about how Elder Tialavea (one of the assistants right now) was in that sector when he had about a year in the mission and he was having a really hard time too.  She said that he would talk to them sometimes and say how hes not having any success even though it was always easy before.  The family helped him out a lot and now hes assistant in the mission and is baptizing like crazy.  I learned a lot from that conversation that even though we go through these trials its becuse God is preparing us for an even greater calling down the road. 
We decided to help our ward out instead of getting mad at them and blaming them for all the bad thigns that are going on here.  We set up a powerpoint and we are going to do a presentation about mission work and how they can all help us out.  In my studies preparing for this presentation I came across several scriptures and quotes in Preach My Gospel that made strong impressions on me.  We also had a conference a couple weeks back and our zone leader, who is leaving, gave a very powerful testimony about how he learned how to win.  He said before he was always on the losing sports team and how they worked so hard but never won.  On the mission, he learned literally how to win.  That is something I am trying very hard to work on.  I havent seen much success in my mission yet and there arent any secrets other than diligence.  There is a scripture in D&C 10 that says Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work.¨¨
Ive been reading a lot in my Patriarchal blessing and it says a lot about how in my mission I will see lots of trials and hard times but as I put my trust in the Lord and work as hard as I can, I will be able to overcome my trials and bring people to the truth.  It also says that I have been given all the talents and gifts that I need to complete my task and that God expects a lot from me.  There is one sentence that has always stuck out to me and always runs through my mind everyday.  It says ¨Don´t let Him down¨.  As I think about that, it makes me work even harder and it makes me want to knock even more doors because I know thats what He expects of me.  Everytime I think about giving up or wasting time with some members that sentence runs through my head and helps me a lot.  The mission has been such a great blessing for me and Ive been learning and growing a lot in the gospel.  One last thing that my Patriarchal blessing tells me is that as I work hard, study the scriptures, and pray daily that I will become the more complete man that I desire to be.  The mission has really been helping me with all the things that I desire in life.  Ive been blessed with so many gifts and talents that I didn´t realize I had before and Im learning how to use these gifts better everyday. 
Have a great week everybody!  I challenge you all to win this week!
Love Elder Peck




HAPPY BDAY AMANDA AND SAM!
Que cumplen aun mas en sus vidas!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment